On May 23, 2014, 16-month-old Ranie Roger's sustained serious burns to her head, face, and arms when a portable kerosene stove fell on her. She was immediately rushed to Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) where she was treated and received two separate skin graft surgeries. However, Ranie's body rejected the grafted skin and she was left with an open head wound for approximately two and a half year.
Ranie is now 3 years-old and currently lives with her parents Shawnette Lyken and Rol Rogers, who provides around the clock care for her. Both parents has been feverishly trying to find overseas treatment for their daughter, but their efforts have been unsuccessful due to lack of funds.
Proper medical treatment is essential to anyone who has suffered from burn injuries. For a small child, the lack of medical care could mean the difference between life and death. Therefore, on August 24, 2016 the SHEA Charity accepted Ranie's case and began advocating on her behalf.
Within one month, the charity was successful in securing a pro-bono medical services, a medical visa for Ranie, coordinated all travel, housing and other treatment related needs, and Ranie traveled to the United State on October 14, 2016.
Ranie's travels to and from the United States were sponsored by jetBlue and Dynamic International Airways. Since her arrival in the US, she has undergone 3 separate skin graft surgeries, all were successful. She spent a total of 4 weeks in treatment and returned to Guyana on December 2, 2016. Her road to full recovery is a long one, as she must return to the US in September 2017 for further treatment, including reconstructive and cosmetic surgeries. -Update: Due to the effects caused by Hurricane Harvey, Ranie's surgery was rescheduled to April 2018.